Thursday, July 27, 2017

How I Sold My House In Under 24 Hours

Before I move on to posting about my new house, I wanted to share some tips on how we sold our house in under 24 hours.

Let me start by saying, this is what worked for us.  I am not a Professional Stager.  There were several factors involved.  First, we hired a knowledgeable, energetic Realtor.  She had a good network with other Realtors in town, which was so important.  She knew the market in our town very well, and had educated herself on our home.  The next part was up to me.  Here is everything I did to get the house ready to be put on the market.

Here's what I did on the outside:
Cleaned up all of the flowerbeds front and back.  I also added new mulch were it was needed.  I seeded a few bald spots in our lawn as well.  I also did a walk around of the property touching up any paint on the outside of the house.  I added fresh plants to pots, and thoroughly washed the patios.  Also, made sure windows were nice and clean.



Here's everything I did on the Inside:
Touch up paint woodwork.  I also painted any rooms that didn't have a neutral paint color.  I removed ALL of our family photos.  Buyers can't feel like it's going to be their home if your family photos are everywhere.  I thinned out a lot of my home decor.  This can be tricky, you don't want the house to feel stark and cold, but you don't want it to be too cluttered.  Again, they need to be able to picture themselves and their things in your home. I simply boxed up a lot of things and put them in a neat corner in the garage.  CLEAN!!! I mean, get on the floor and clean, get on a ladder and CLEAN!!! You want your house to sparkle.  I also took this opportunity to clean out cabinets, and closets.  Don't forget the garage, and any storage buildings too.  Buyers will look at everything!! 

So, before you have the realtor to your home to list, and take photos, here's what you do next.  This is the fun staging part.  If you are not sure how to do this, look at Pinterest at staged homes, or go look at model homes in your town.  Put out your best towels, or buy new if you need too.  I went the extra step and tied mine with pretty ribbon.  


Make the beds look crisp and freshly made.  Straighten any decorative pillows and throw blankets.  

Add a soft homey fragrance.  I used wax burners, because I won't be at the house while it's shown, and didn't want to use candles.   I didn't add too many, because you don't want potential buyers to be overwhelmed with fragrance.  The last little step I did, was to put some soft, quiet Jazz music on in the background.  It just gives the house that extra cozy feeling.  Last, but not least, clean up in the yard after your pets before you show the house.  You don't want them to step in doggy poo.  Also, take your pets with you when the house is being shown.  It may make the pets nervous seeing strangers in their home without you there.  Not everyone likes pets, and buyers may be turned off if pets are there while they are looking at the house.  Also, you don't want them to accidentally let your pets out of the house or yard.  Last, before you leave the house for it to be shown, turn on all of your lights and lamps.  You want the house to be bright and cheery!


That's it!! Again, I'm not an expert!! This is what worked for us to sell our house in less than 24 hours.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment!